1. GENERAL POSITION INFORMATION
Position Name: Accounting Specialist – Payroll
Full-Time Equivalent: Full-Time; 1.0; Benefited
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
Department/Division: Business Office/Finance & Administration
Supervisor: Chief Business Officer
2. POSITION SUMMARY
Duties and responsibilities include processing payroll, maintaining time keeping records, reviewing payroll and payroll reports for accuracy, and maintaining accurate set up and tax filings federally as well as in multiple states and jurisdictions.
3. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
List key position responsibilities/duties by category and estimate the percentage of time spent on each responsibility. The total percentage of duties must equal 100%.
Key Responsibilities/Duties and % of Duties
PAYROLL PREPARATION AND PROCESSING = 50%
• Processes payroll monthly including wage and overtime payments, calculations and recording of payroll deductions, and requests for paycheck advances.
• Verifies timekeeping records, maintains time and attendance records using paper timesheets and/or electronic time management system.
• Reviews payroll before finalizing to ensure accuracy.
• Prepares and transfers payroll checks.
• Prepares and transmits direct deposits.
REPORTING AND RECONCILIATION = 20%
• Generates and verifies payroll reports out of payroll system.
• Prepares periodic reports of earnings, taxes and deductions.
• Reconciles quarter-end and year-end reports and payroll general ledger activity.
• Verifies and reconciles W2s prior to issuance.
• Prepares monthly payroll general ledger entries and supporting documentation
SYSTEM AND EMPLOYEE MAINTENANCE = 20%
• Sets up garnishments and levies, verifies instructor teaching assignments, processes off-cycle manual checks and termination pay checks.
• Completes applications in multiple states in order to set up state tax IDs, ensures proper set up and accurate state tax filings.
• Maintains direct deposit documentation, pre-note processes and system data 20%
TRAINING AND DOCUMENTATION = 5%
• Trains employees and managers on use of the time keeping system
• Maintains notification processes to employees and managers, resolves employee access issues and other questions in a timely manner
• Documents and updates written payroll procedures.
• Maintains payroll documentation and files.
DEPOSITS AND OTHER BUSINESS OFFICE DUTIES = 5%
• Provide daily customer service to students, staff and faculty.
• Prepares daily bank deposits.
• Serves as backup to common Business Office tasks.
• Other related duties as assigned. 5%
4. UWS CORE VALUES AND ASSOCIATED COMPETENCIES
The following Core Values are integral to working at UWS. All employees, regardless of their position within the university, are expected uphold the Core Values and demonstrate associated competencies.
Best Practices – We maintain high standards by using and integrating evidence across multiple disciplines. To accomplish this, We:
• Seek out and use relevant data to inform our decision-making.
• Incorporate peer-reviewed research and professional experiences into academic discourse and patient care.
• Promote student learning through excellence in instruction and assessment.
Curiosity – We are innovative, open minded, and forward thinking. To accomplish this, We:
• Approach our work with curiosity, inquisitiveness and willingness to think outside the box.
• Value and consider new ideas and ask, “What if…?”
• Remain open to change in order to advance and improve.
Inclusiveness – We are respectful, mindful, and welcoming of different ways of being, thinking, and doing. To accomplish this, We:
• Actively listen to diverse perspectives and value different viewpoints and experiences.
• Promote the equity of ideas, resources, power, and identity for all.
• Gather information and input from diverse groups to develop a common vision, improve policies and practices, and advance institutional goals.
Professionalism – We are responsible, respectful, and accountable. To accomplish this, We:
• Demonstrate civility in all our interactions, especially when there are disagreements or differing opinions.
• Take ownership of our speech, conduct, demeanor, and deliverables.
• Adhere to established policies, procedures, agreements, and deadlines.
• Act as thoughtful stewards of the university and its resources.
Student-Focus – We work for the common good of students’ academic and professional success. To accomplish this, We:
• Incorporate student feedback to improve academics and university services.
• When making university decisions, we ask: What effect will that have on students?
• Seek to understand the students’ experience through their eyes.
Whole-Person Health – We promote physical, mental and emotional wellness in all facets of the UWS experience. To accomplish this, We:
• Intentionally cultivate environments that support work-life balance.
• Consider personal and community wellness in decision-making.
• Maintain rigorous academic standards while supporting the health and well-being of our students.
• Include a range of health modalities in the classroom and clinic.
5. POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
Education & Training
- Associate Degree and/or a minimum of 2 years’ experience in payroll, data entry, account reconciliation, and general office responsibilities, including software applications.
- Typing and 10-key skills.
- Prior experience working with federal and state laws in multiple states in accordance with payroll.
- Associate Degree.
- Experience using Ultimate Kronos Group (UKG) payroll and time management system.
- Knowledge of general ledger accounting as it relates to payroll processing.
Certifications & Licenses
- Fundamental Payroll Certification
Related Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities – QUALIFICATIONS: (Knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform job.)
- Working knowledge of payroll processes and procedures.
- Computer skills: Windows, MS Office applications, e-mail applications, and Internet applications.
- The ability to be prompt, accurate, confidential, and cordial in assisting employees with payroll questions and problems.
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor in a setting with multiple interruptions (phone and people).
- Thorough understanding of bookkeeping concepts and math skills are essential to daily responsibilities.
- Experience working in a multi-tasking environment.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changes.
- Ability to work in an organized manner.
- Effective oral communication skills.
APPLICATION, SCREENING AND HIRING PROCESS:
Screening of applicants will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled. Please submit a cover letter, a resume and the names and contact information of three professional references.
University of Western States conducts background checks for the finalist or finalists of staff and faculty positions. The type of background check will vary by position type.
University of Western States is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, visit our website at: https://www.uws.edu/about/employment/.
Click on the large orange button and follow the prompts.
You may attach your materials as Word or PDF documents.
- Address 8000 NE Tillamook Street, Portland, OR 97213