Oregon Food Bank – We build community power to dismantle systems and policies that drive hunger and poverty.
Join our great team, we have a current opening for a Payroll and Finance Support Specialist. This is a full time, long-term temporary (currently budgeted through June 30, 2021), benefit eligible position working a hybrid remote/on-site schedule.
Apply at Oregon Food Bank careers page:
First review of applications starting January 4, 2021
As the Payroll and Financial Support Specialist you will contribute to the organization’s success through accurate and timely processing of payroll, timekeeping, and financial records into the ADP Human Resources Information System. The position is focused on payroll processing, and also provides support with Accounts Payable and general accounting activities. Ensures that all work conforms to appropriate internal controls, legal requirements, OFB policies and procedures and is in conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Process payroll using ADP. Compile employee time, production, and payroll data from time sheets and other records. Process and issue employee paychecks and statements of earnings and deductions. Compute wages and deductions, and enter data into HRIS.
- Prepare monthly schedules of overtime paid and vacation and sick leave hours earned, used, and remaining balance, by employee. Issue and record adjustments to pay related to previous errors or retroactive increases. Initiate federal, state and local tax corrections, amendments, W-2 administration.
- Evaluate current processes and work with the department lead; increasing efficiency and reliability of payroll transactions and communication to department standard.
- Assists with various audits to ensure data integrity and work with EPCA and managers to correct errors as well as develop new or more efficient auditing and reporting processes.
- Coordinate with Human Resources staff regarding employees’ enrollment in insurance, leave and 401 (k) programs.
- Assists with recording payroll and benefit transactions to the General Ledger including correct labor distributions by department, work group, and appropriate grant or project codes.
- Maintain and reconcile balance sheet accounts related to payroll process including withholding liabilities, prepaid benefits, and accrued payroll.
- In coordination with Human Resources staff, reconcile and request payments on employee benefits/ADP/and other invoices.
- Accurate and timely processing of Accounts Payable invoices for the organization including receiving invoices, capturing digital images, routing, transaction entering and check mailing.
- Organizational level responsibilities of exempt employees include:
- To be an ambassador and a leader for OFB’s vision and mission, a cross-departmental collaborator, and an active contributor to building a movement to end hunger for good. Provides leadership and examples professional communication and behaviors to OFB standards.
- In consultation and coordination with the supervisor, actively contribute to:
- cross-departmental efforts
- work culture activities and programming
- advisory and consultative groups such as the compensation committee, affinity groups, Equity Ambassadors, Equity Think Tank meetings, among others
- plan and engage in professional development activities that strengthen your capacity for your specific role as well as your capacity to contribute and advance organizational goals, OFB’s vision and mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Deep passion for eliminating hunger and its root causes.
- 2 + years of payroll experience, strong preference with ADP Workforce Now. Knowledge of wage and hour laws, garnishment laws, and taxability of wages.Solid understanding of the payroll lifecycle, amendments, and payroll deductions.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite including intermediate skills in Excel.
- Ability to operate 10 key calculators by touch.
- Proficient in intermediate math.
- Good organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with attention to details, handle interruptions, maintain focus on tasks and produce accurate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to make presentations and develop reports that may include technical information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Organizational level skills and experience for exempt employees include:
- Disposition and willingness to innovate, problem solve, test, fail and adjust.
- Experience in modeling intercultural competence and demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and social justice.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, take initiative, and to maintain confidentiality.
- Project coordination and organization skills; ability to manage multiple projects with attention to detail; meet deadlines, ability to handle interruptions, and produce timely, accurate work.
- Self – directed, meets benchmarks and checks assumptions about results and end goals. Ability to work independently and as part of a team; provides role clarity, shows willingness to support others to build momentum and share success, comfortable working in an office environment and offsite.
- Ability to thrive in a creative, responsive, and fast-paced culture.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now payroll; knowledge and experience with administering a bi-weekly payroll for 200 employee workforce.
- Address 7900 NE 33rd Dr, Portland, OR