Administers employee health, welfare, and retirement benefits, as well as manages the Employee Leave of Absence program. Provides assistance to all employees on various employee benefits plans. Analyzes the employee benefits offered by the Credit Union to the appropriate competitive position is maintained. Develops, recommends, and implements approved, new, or modified plans and employee benefit policies and administers existing plans.
You’re considering a career with a financial institution that puts Members first and takes care of Employees. OnPoint employees are rewarded, acknowledged and appreciated. Employees receive a generous vacation package, competitive pay, 100% paid employee medical, dental and vision premiums, Tri-Met / parking passes, 401k matching, tuition reimbursement, paid volunteer hours and more! We believe in growth and foster a culture of success and promotion from within.
- Administers employee benefit programs such as retirement plans; medical; dental plans; vision plan; term life insurance plans; disability and accidental death policies.
- Works directly with employees and managers to coordinate employee leaves of absence and other benefits related issues/needs. Maintains current knowledge of and ensures Credit Union compliance with applicable state and/or federal leave regulations.
- Responds to benefit inquiries and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution. Maintains contact in person, by phone and/or by mail insurances carriers, hospitals, physicians, employees and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
- Evaluates and compares existing Credit Union benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys, and other sources of information in collaboration with outside benefits consultants. Plans, develops, and/or participates in area and industry surveys. Analyzes results of surveys and develops specific recommendations for review by Human Resources Director and Senior Vice President/Human Resources.
- Develops specifications for new plans or modifies existing plans to: (a) maintain Credit Union’s competitive position in labor market, and; (b) obtain uniform benefit package for all employees.
- Works closely with benefits consultant to evaluate quotations from insurance companies; makes recommendations to Human Resources Director and Senior Vice President/Chief Talent Officer. Develops Credit Union cost information for new plans and makes recommendations concerning sharing of cost between employer and employee. Assists Human Resources Director and Senior Vice President/Human Resources with annual benefits budget preparation.
- Develops and delivers communications to implement approved new plans and changes for open enrollment or other relevant enrollment periods.
- Prepares and executes, with legal consultation, benefit documentation such as original and amended plan documents, summary plan descriptions, benefit contracts and insurance policies. In collaboration with benefits consultants, instructs insurance carriers, and other administrative agencies to effect changes in benefit programs. Ensures prompt and accurate compliance.
- Assures Credit Union compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). Supervises preparation of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor and other regulatory agencies. Reviews and analyzes changes to federal and state laws pertaining to benefits and reports necessary or suggested changes.
- Administers Workers’ Compensation program and functions as the liaison with SAIF Corporation.
- Assures that existing and new benefit programs are adaptable to standard computer and reporting systems. Develops benefit information and statistical and census data for actuaries, benefit consultants, insurance carriers and management. Oversees the design and distribution of annual Employee Benefit Statements.
- Participates as a member of the Credit Union’s Retirement Committee and coordinates meetings and minutes.
- Conducts 401(k) and Retirement enrollment meetings. Works in conjunction with outside consultants to assist the Retirement Committee in monitoring plan investments and to design investment education programs for plan participants. Reviews and files annual IRS form 5500 and attachments. Ensures that statutory pension compensation and contribution limits are enforced.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills. Experience in working effectively with a variety of personalities in a fast-paced, progressive environment.
- Knowledge of legislation and laws effecting health, welfare, and retirement benefits, as well as a general awareness of state, federal, and local human resources laws and regulations (OR and WA).
- Project management knowledge, strong organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Ability to perform duties with minimal direction.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and strong attention to detail and accuracy in performing job duties.
- Well-developed personal computer skills using word processors, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Familiarity with HRIS systems, and more particularly the ability to handle benefits through an integrated HCM platform, including billing, open enrollment, carrier connections, and compliance.
- Ability to understand written and verbal instructions. Willing to ask questions when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or human resources management or equivalent experience (5+ years) in benefits administration. Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) designation desired.
- In-depth knowledge of technical regulations and laws as they pertain to employee benefit plans.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills. Must be comfortable in 1:1 and large group presentation and training situations.
- Demonstrated effective project and time management skills.
- Experience supporting HR projects, systems, and conflicting priorities.
- Experience in identifying obstacles and creating solutions to moderately complex situations.
- Experience with relationship and consensus building across department lines.