In alignment with TEC’s continued growth, we have the opportunity to add a Compensation and Benefits Manager to our HR team based at TEC’s corporate headquarters in Portland, Oregon. This newly created position will lead the development, implementation, and administration of TEC’s compensation and benefits programs (including health and wellness plans, other employee benefit programs, leaves of absence, workers’ compensation administration, and compensation analysis and strategy).
This position works in partnership with the Chief Legal Officer (CLO) and Chief Operating Officer (COO) to ensure compensation and benefit programs are appropriately competitive, attractive, and properly aligned with TEC’s overall strategy and culture.
The health and safety of our employees is a top priority for TEC Equipment. In response to COVID-19, the duties of this position will generally be performed off-site (remote/telework) until TEC ‘s corporate team returns to work onsite.
- Design and manage the compensation and benefits programs to support and sustain a high performing culture that attracts, motivates, retains, and rewards strong contributors.
- Evaluate internal equity of compensation and benefits programs to drive a high-performing culture. Collaborate with leadership to conduct compensation audits and analysis in order to comply with equal pay requirements.
- Partner with HR team and other internal stakeholders to conduct job evaluation and create appropriate salary bands and ranges.
- Perform market analysis and utilize quality data sources to make informed recommendations and decisions. Research, develop, implement, and maintain fixed and variable compensation structure and practices that are attractive, competitive, consistent, and legally compliant.
- Partner with all HR team members to facilitate optimal offerings for all benefits programs. Continuously seek opportunities for improvement and automation.
- If applicable, ensure that any direct reports understand expectations, priorities, and benchmarks for measuring success. Serve as mentor, coach, and positive role model in alignment with the TEC Way – demonstrating Teamwork, Entrepreneurship, and Customer Focus.
- Oversee 401(k) plan administration, working closely with the Payroll Manager to ensure plan compliance. Perform plan audits and own annual 401(k) audit process with external auditors.
- Create and maintain tracking systems to report key performance indicators and trends, while constantly evaluating the effectiveness of the company’s benefits programs.
- Identify, develop, and administer training, in partnership with HR Business Partners, for managers in areas of expertise, such as leaves of absence, the ADA, and workers’ compensation.
- Develop communication tools and materials to enhance employee understanding of the company’s benefits package. Continuously monitor and measure effectiveness of current communication tools and materials and make appropriate adjustments.
- Manage the annual open enrollment process for benefits, which includes strategy, enrollment material design, communications, status tracking, and timely completion by all employees.
- Monitor administrative costs of benefits programs and recommend cost containment strategies, including alternative methods for administration and funding. Prepare budgetary recommendations and assist in the monitoring, verifying, and reconciling of budgeted funds.
- Oversee all aspects of the company’s leave program, including leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA); other leaves available to employees under state, federal, or local law; and unpaid leaves of absence.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Minimum five years’ previous experience dealing with compensation, benefits, leave administration programs, preferably in a large multi-state organization
- Expert knowledge in compensation management and experience creating compensation programs and structures from the ground up
- Strong knowledge of various types of group health plans and programs, 401(k), workers’ compensation, and leave management
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including strong presentation skills to effectively develop and communicate information to audiences of varied makeup
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build positive relationships in person and through phone and electronic communication with all levels of employees, management, and vendors
- Highly proficient with human resource management systems and MS Office
- Skilled in change management and project management
- Ability to analyze data to identify problems, trends, root causes, and recommend solutions
- Ability to influence without authority
- Ability to gain an in-depth understanding of the company’s culture and appropriately adjust work style to build influential relationships and achieve desired results
- Behaving ethically and with a level of discretion at all times
TEC Equipment is the West’s leading full-service, heavy-duty truck and trailer dealership, with over 1,200 employees in 28 locations in Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, and Arizona. Since our humble beginnings in 1976, we continue to be family-owned and operated.
We believe our employees deserve a safe work environment. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of pre-employment drug screen and background check. Employment for positions that require driving is contingent upon passing MVR record check and being insurable by our auto insurance policy. Employment for Department of Transportation-regulated positions is also contingent on passing applicable regulatory screens.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Address 750 NE Columbia Blvd, Portland, OR