Purpose: This leadership role serves as a champion, change agent and subject matter expert committed to fostering and promoting a culture of Diversity and Inclusion. The DEI Manager oversees and implements the Fortis diversity initiatives and strategy to attract, hire, promote and maintain a diverse workplace through policies and programs. The position cultivates a supportive and inclusive work environment for all employees and trades and cultivates relationships within the construction DEI community. Oversees client specific DEI programs.
- Researches, develops, recommends, and executes creative strategies and programs to foster the diversity goals of Fortis
- Reviews current practices and policies, assessing and analyzing the extent to which they support or hinder Fortis’ diversity goals
- Develops and collects DEI metrics to report and measure progress in accordance with standards and goals
- Addresses in collaboration with HR Business Partners and Team Leaders, any and all forms of harassment or discrimination
- In collaboration with Talent Acquisition, recommends and implements recruiting and hiring strategies to attract employees from diverse backgrounds
- Develops and/or acquires training and development resources to support company diversity and retention initiatives
- Provides oversight and participates in DEI company focus groups
- Acts as company liaison with government agencies and minority business partners concerning affirmative action and equal employment opportunities
- Supports and advises Fortis leaders to mentor and create relationships with COBID trade partners
- Participates and collaborates in building external relationships with key community organizations
- Oversees client DEI initiatives and ensure in line with client and Fortis expectations
- Participates in DEI RFP proposal writing and presentations, as needed
- Acts as a coach and mentor to employees, the company and community on diversity, equity and inclusion matters
- Manages, directs and oversees Site DEI Specialists in collaboration with Site Team Leaders
- Maintains knowledge of diversity-related issues, legislation, trends, and best practices
- Provides training and policy updates to ensure legal compliance of company practices
- Bachelor’s degree required; or at least seven years of Human Resources or related experience with at least three years specializing in equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, and diversity programs
- Experience implementing and evolving diversity and inclusion initiatives that align with business needs and priorities
- Demonstrated understanding of current DEI subjects and best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including proven dispute resolution and conflict management skills
- Thorough understanding of federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws and regulations
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive data with integrity and professionalism
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License
- Ability to travel between company and client sites
Physical Requirements: Work is performed in a professional office environment. Role is stationary, often standing or sitting for long periods of time. Utilize standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, etc. Communication with internal and external contacts, including speaking and hearing. May occasionally push, pull or lift up to 25 lbs. U.S travel is required.
The above description is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements for the performance of this job; it is not to be construed as a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. All jobs require behaviors consistent with our Core Values and Culture. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested, reasonable accommodations could be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the role, absent undue hardship. Fortis Construction, Inc. reserves the right to revise the job description at any time.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Fortis is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identification or citizenship status. We will make every reasonable effort to accommodate the needs of disabled employees.
- Address 1705 SW Taylor St, STE 200, Portland, OR 97205