Purpose: The Employee Development Manager, in collaboration with the Strategy Team and other HR Team members, designs the systems, processes and professional development initiatives to support the business success and cultural strength of Fortis.
This role will facilitate and manage all organizational needs to drive performance improvement and professional development at Fortis. This will include all formal programming for performance management, employee training and development, management development, succession planning, and broader organizational effectiveness activities.
The Employee Development Manager must possess effective communication skills and the ability to manage effectively the balance of urgent and long-term tasks. They must be customer service-oriented, and capable of building relationships across the organization in order to build a pool of facilitators and subject matter experts. Total discretion is required with all confidential information. This person serves as a role model for organizational values.
- Design and implement learning and development strategies for all Fortis teams
- Conduct organizational needs assessment, and leverage results to build and enhance development initiatives for targeted populations
- Manage and facilitate the creation and delivery of training content, focusing on hard and soft skills required for success in our employee roles. (Channels may include instructor-led courses, online programs, web-based learning aids, external development programs, and other resources as appropriate.)
- Design and manage the overall performance management structure, including performance appraisals, coaching delivery, and performance development planning
- Facilitate the effective management of the performance management process by all participants, providing constructive guidance and advise business leaders on issues of consistency and equity in the process and related decision making.
- Design, develop, and refine career paths and career progression opportunities to help employees achieve long-term and aspirational professional achievement.
- Build and manage the overall succession planning program for future leaders, blending both internal and external resources to prepare the next generation of leaders at Fortis
- Partner with site management to manage, communicate, and steward various Employee Development programs and initiatives.
- Actively participate in and contribute to relevant team meetings, including with other members of the extended HR Team and site and business leadership
- Manage all members of the Employee Development team, with responsibility for the hiring, development, performance management, and engagement of that team.
- Prepare budgetary recommendations and build annual plans that meet functional goals and provide for the effective management of resources
- Assist in other duties as assigned, relevant to the achievement of the position’s and department’s objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree required, or at least 5 years Human Resources experience with progressive role growth, or similar combination of HR-specific education and personnel-oriented experience.
- Leadership coaching experience – certification preferred, but not required
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently while being able to collaborate in a cross-functional team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to negotiate and resolve issues with diplomacy and persuasiveness.
- Ability to implement and drive change, including demonstrated experience and knowledge of change management principles
- Can meet deadlines with high attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness
- Ability to handle highly confidential data with integrity and professionalism
- Thorough understanding of local, state, and federal laws pertaining to labor and HR practices
- Track record of using data and analytics to support recommendations with partners and create measurable and actionable results
- Experience with Learning Management System (LMS) platforms, including content management, user management, and module design/implementation
- Systems experience with Viewpoint or similar HRIS platform, preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License
- Ability to travel between company and client sites (up to 30% of time)
Physical Requirements: Work is performed in a professional office environment. Role is stationary, often standing or sitting for long periods of time. Utilize standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, etc. Communication with internal and external contacts, including speaking and hearing. May occasionally push, pull or lift up to 25 lbs. Occasional travel.
The above description is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements for the performance of this job; it is not to be construed as a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. All jobs require behaviors consistent with our Core Values and Culture. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested, reasonable accommodations could be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the role, absent undue hardship. Fortis Construction, Inc. reserves the right to revise the job description at any time.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Fortis is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identification or citizenship status. We will make every reasonable effort to accommodate the needs of disabled employees.
- Address 1705 SW Taylor St, STE 200, Portland, OR 97205