Portland State University is Oregon’s most affordable public research university, located in the heart of one of America’s most dynamic cities. Our mission to “let knowledge serve the city” reflects our dedication to turning ideas into action — in Portland and around the world. The city is our campus, giving students unmatched access to career connections, a vibrant cultural scene and hands-on learning experiences with hundreds of community partners.
More than 27,000 students from all backgrounds bring diverse perspectives to our classrooms and campus life, from the tree-lined Park Blocks to the bustling Urban Plaza and state-of-the-art science labs. We are proud of our world-class faculty, groundbreaking research and international reputation for excellence in sustainability, community engagement and innovation.
The Office of Human Resources team is committed to providing quality service that enables faculty and staff to contribute at the highest level to support the mission of the University. We serve the PSU community in the areas of :
- Recruiting and hiring.
- Employee and labor relations.
- Benefits and leaves.
- Payroll operations and accounting.
- Compensation and Classification.
- Training and development.
For more information, please CLICK HERE
As a member of the Employee and Labor Relations Team in the Office of Human Resources, the Employee Relations Specialist uses professional methodologies and best practices to provide direct support to campus in handling employee relations matters that may include coaching, educating, and guiding employees and managers through informal and formal processes involving performance management, progressive discipline, dispute resolution, grievance processing, effective communication, and workplace interventions.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus two (2) years of directly related experience in employee relations, which could include supervisory experience, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Ability to persuade others and to adjust communication style to suit the audience to effectively communicate with people in all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability in providing quality support to supervisors/managers through challenging employee and/or labor relations situations.
- Excellent critical thinking, judgment and decision-making ability, including the ability to weigh short and long-term costs and benefits of a potential decision and/or action.
- Excellent listening and interviewing skills with the ability to hear all sides of a problem before drawing conclusions.
- Outstanding communication skills including refined writing skills and the ability to speak clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully handling a high volume of employee relations activity using application of professional experience, employment law, and organizational practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time, prioritize workload, meet deadlines, and follow through with service to customers is required.
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle conflict with the highest levels of professionalism.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) and other common business applications.
- PHR or SPHR preferred.
- Experience working in a higher education setting.
- Experience working in a public sector organization.
- Experience working in a large organization with multiple and diverse employee groups.
- Experience working with collective bargaining agreements and in unionized work environments.
- Address PO Box 751