To be considered, please apply directly on our website at www.careoregon.org/careers and search for Benefits Specialist (21526) in our careers portal. If you have any difficulty submitting your resume through the online process, please let us know by emailing: recruitment @ careoregon.org.
For people who care about helping others, CareOregon is the place to be. We’re a nonprofit health plan dedicated to providing access to high-quality, cost-effective, culturally competent care for Oregon Health Plan and Medicare Advantage participants. For compassionate innovators committed to improving health care throughout Oregon, we offer a great work environment where your contributions are recognized.
This position is responsible for the daily administration of benefits and leave of absence programs, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, retirement, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, life/accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D), voluntary life, short-term disability, long-term disability, individual disability insurance (IDI), Sabbatical Leave, paid time off (PTO), Family Medical Leave (FMLA), state leave/paid leave, American with Disabilities Act (ADA), COBRA, ACA compliance, etc.
- Administer leave administration, disability, and accommodation programs and workflows from beginning to end.
- Advise employees and managers on multiple leave laws, company policies, workers’ compensation, and short-term and long-term disability benefits.
- Monitor Leave of Absence and ADA email box communications with third party vendors and managers and respond to all inquiries and follow-up requests.
- Maintain communication with employees on leave to facilitate smooth and timely return to work; keep managers up to date about employee leaves, changes, and work restrictions.
- Assist in development of educational leave content and resources for employees and managers.
- Assist with the filing and management of employee worker’s compensation claims.
- Prepare leave, disability, paid leave and PTO reporting for payroll processing each pay period.
- Assist with benefits, leave, ADA reporting or data collection as needed.
- Administer the Sabbatical Leave program tracking and approval process.
- Participate in the administration of a comprehensive employee benefits program that includes health and welfare, 401(k), and other health and wellness programs.
- Assist the Benefits and Wellness Manager to ensure effective implementation of Annual Open Enrollment; assist with the preparation of educational materials and presentation of benefits plan changes to employees.
- Build effective relationships with employees and liaise between employees and benefits providers and brokers to explain information on plans, address a variety of issues and assist with matters involving sensitive employee information.
- May provide New Hire Benefit Orientation for new hire and newly benefit eligible employees.
- Reconcile invoices from benefits vendors as needed.
- Respond to federal, state and other inquiries as needed related to benefits (Social Security verifications, medical support orders, etc.).
- Assist in the management of CareOregon’s wellness platforms and program.
- Assist the Benefits and Wellness Manager in areas related to compliance, testing and reporting performed for all benefits plans, including regulatory filings (ACA), and all legal notifications to employees.
- Assist in ongoing human resources process improvement; remain current on benefits trends and conduct research to evaluate emerging employee benefits ideas.
- Provide back-up support to the Benefits and Wellness Manager in all areas of benefits and leave administration as needed.
- Perform work in alignment with the organization’s mission, vision and values.
- Support the organization’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion by fostering a culture of open mindedness, cultural awareness, compassion and respect for all individuals.
- Strive to meet annual business goals in support the organization’s strategic goals.
- Adhere to the organization’s policies, procedures and other relevant compliance needs.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Experience and/or Education
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with Federal and State protected leave of absence administration and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and reasonable accommodations
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in benefits administration
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Proficient in and have a working understanding of federal, state and local laws, regulations, and statutes relevant to Leave of Absence administration, ADA and reasonable accommodations
- Growing knowledge of benefits offerings and administration
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to grow and apply knowledge of trends and best practices to daily operations
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to effectively educate and provide concise information to managers, employees, and external partners and vendors at all levels
- Ability to provide excellent service to internal and external customers and vendors
- Ability to recommend and influence toward favorable outcomes
- Ability to perform work objectively, being cognizant of fairness and consistency
- Ability to work well under pressure with frequent interruptions and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle confidential information and project a positive and professional business image
- Ability to exercise discretion, independent judgment and critical thinking
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups
- Ability to learn, focus, understand, and evaluate information and determine appropriate actions
- Ability to accept direction and feedback, as well as tolerate and manage stress
- Ability to see, read, hear, speak clearly, and perform repetitive finger and wrist movement for at least 6 hours/day
Member/Patient Facing: ☒ No ☐ Telephonic ☐ In Person
Hazards: May include, but not limited to, physical and ergonomic hazards
Equipment: General office equipment
Travel: May include occasional required or optional travel outside of the workplace; the employee’s personal vehicle, local transit or other means of transportation may be used.
Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. CareOregon is committed to building a linguistically and culturally diverse and inclusive work environment
Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal opportunity employer. This company considers all candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
- Address 315 SW 5th Ave, Portland, OR, 97204