HR Division Manager
Hampton Lumber is a family-owned wood products company headquartered in Portland, Oregon. With over 1,700 employees, we operate ten sawmills in Western Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. We also manage timberland and operate a wholesale and export division. With nearly 80 years in the sawmill business, we are proud to have cultivated the knowledge and experience needed to grow and prosper, even in challenging times. We always look to the future and invest in our people, new technologies, and continuous improvement processes and techniques.
We depend on the Human Resource Manager to continue to build a workforce that creates a competitive advantage by recruiting, training, developing, and retaining top talent. This position is based out of Warrenton, Oregon. Requires occasional travel to other mills and or the corporate office (some overnight stays).
Generous company-paid assistance for Medical and Dental insurance premiums; cost-effective co-pays & deductibles. Vision, Short Term Disability, Roth and pre-tax 401k, with a 2% company match and an additional 5% annual employer contribution, fully vested after three years.
- Perform hands-on and or oversees the recruiting, interviewing, hiring for job openings, to ensure diversity of applicant pools; source and screen applicants, partner closely with the hiring manager to manage candidate selection process; help hiring managers with the job offer process.
- Creates (or reviews) job postings from the company approved template library making certain adherence to the overall Hampton brand and quality.
- Ensures adherence to using the iCIMS workflow including the timeline metrics to provide for an excellent candidate experience.
- Manages affirmative action records.
- Administers new hire drug testing & background checks.
- For open postings, monitors that a sufficient number of qualified applications are being received. Proactively asks for help from the Corporate HR team to review the strategies for filling open positions if time to fill metric exceeds the stated goal.
- Manage (or be the on-site champion) to ensure that the recruiting connection team participates in the assigned activities to promote Hampton as a desired employer in all the communities we have operations in
- Be the subject matter expert for the iCIMS software. Train hiring managers on how to use the system.
Training and Development
- Oversees that ALL training on site is entered into the centralized, real-time, company-wide training tracking report.
- Ensures that the mill completes the planned training sessions, on-time, for compliance and to make certain that Hampton is developing talent per our stated training goals.
- Review the company-wide training library. Proactively request training and development activities if there are gaps.
- Support career development per our stated goals. Connect with management, supervisors, and employees to ensure they know about training opportunities available for themselves (and employees).
- Forward requests for new training inquiries to the Corporate HR team so they can coordinate developing the new material.
On-Boarding/Orientation and Retention
- Conduct new hire orientations and onboarding.
- Evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of our current techniques to achieve our stated goals. Recommend new ideas when needed.
- Perform exit interviews. Send reports to the Corporate HR team.
- Support and engage in Hampton Continuous Improvement (HCI) and team strategic activities.
- Accountable for meeting the stated Human Resource metrics
- Ensure planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results. Mentor managers to coach and discipline employees
- Manage random and post-accident drug tests.
- Work closely with payroll and benefits to ensure compliance with all payroll and benefits related issues.
- Manage FMLA and Short Term Disability requests
- Manage changes in benefits, diversity, etc.
- Management may modify, add or reallocate job responsibilities to better accommodate the needs of the business
- Superior communication skills. Ability to objectively coach employees and management through issues that may be complex, difficult and emotional.
- Excellent writing skills— (spelling, sentence structure, punctuation, and grammar) as well as overall content flow.
- Excellent PC skills using Microsoft products
- Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy and efficiency
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, competing priorities, facilitate projects and business processes and work effectively both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to anticipate opportunities and provide practical solutions given the business environment.
- Strong work ethic, sense of commitment, team-oriented, customer focused and willingness to embrace change while striving for continuous improvement.
- Must have the ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve problems or issues by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations or government law.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or a related field required.
- Five to seven years’ experience in HR and/or Management in a manufacturing environment.
More About Us
Hampton Lumber is an equal opportunity employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Disability accommodation available: If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact the Human Resources Office for the location you are applying.