In most workplaces, throwing tomatoes at your boss would be frowned upon. At Organically Grown Company, we have a day set aside each year to do just that – the world knows it as the Tomato War, we call it group catharsis. The organic produce industry is fast-paced and sure to steal your heart if you aren’t careful. We work hard every day to bring the best organic produce to market from hundreds of awesome farms. Our aspirations are simple: To actively cultivate a diverse, sustainable, and engaged organic trade from farm to marketplace. Through this mission, we continue to pursue our vision of an equitable and regenerative organic agricultural system for global health.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, ATTITUDES, & APTITUDES
The HR Generalist is responsible for assisting with a wide range of HR related functions. They help to ensure HR processes, procedures and systems are in alignment with company values and HR department commitments are met. The primary responsibilities of this role will be facilitating recruitment, basic employee relations, Organizational Vitality (OV) engagement activities, processing HR documentation and filing maintenance, HR related reporting and other general HR functions.
- Front-facing employee assistance for the HR department. Serve as the first level of contact for most employee questions in relation to policies, benefits, pay, procedures and other HR related topics. Escalate employee questions or concerns as needed to HRBP or the Head of HR.
- Facilitates the recruitment process for open positions from beginning to end. This includes posting, screenings, interview coordination, notification to non-selected candidates and applicant tracking. May also assist with the position offer process as needed.
- Conduct new hire onboarding: First day orientations, processing new hire paperwork, entering employees into the HRIS, coordinating company introductions and onboarding plans, scheduling and/or facilitating organizational training and development, etc.
- Assists in implementing HR department goals, objectives and various HR policies, procedures, laws, standards and government regulations.
- Assists HR Business Partners with addressing employee relations issues. This includes conducting investigations, issuing corrective actions and escalating to HRBP and Head of HR as needed.
- Schedule and conduct exit interviews with employees leaving the organization.
- Maintains HRIS data efficiently. This includes processing employee status changes, assisting employees with HRIS access, reporting, ability to answer pay related questions, and other system related needs in a timely manner.
- Maintains employee personnel and confidential files within legal compliance standards.
- Assists in the administration of compensation and benefits programs as requested.
- Assists HRBP’s with annual performance evaluation process.
- Assist payroll administrator and provide backup to the payroll department
- Administer company Leave of Absence programs including FMLA, OFLA, and WFLA. This includes communicating with employees, maintaining confidential records and ensuring the company is in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Create and maintain HR related reports. Includes but not limited to labor reports, time and attendance reports, benefit reporting, payroll reporting, etc.
- Ensure the safety of the coworker as needed, and verify that coworker and supervisor paperwork is completed correctly.
- Work with insurance companies on the claims process, ensuring that they have what they need to process the claim.
- Educate coworkers on time loss benefits.
- Document and complete OSHA logs as required.
- Work with Safety Coordinator on understanding safety needs of OGC and supporting the completion of relevant safety related topics.
- Collaborate with the Safety Committee and Accident Review Board by attending meetings and providing input and feedback.
- Prepare and deliver trainings as needed.
Exemplifies OGC’s 5 Core attitudes and behaviors and looks to the best interest of the company protecting company assets.
Must be flexible and agile to support OGC business needs and mission, and may be assigned projects and/or other duties outside of normal job functions to meet the needs and demands of the business.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Four-year degree in Human Resources or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of two years progressive HR experience, including knowledge of federal, OR and WA state laws and regulations.
- Experience with Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), ADP preferred.
- Strong computer skills including intermediate level experience with Microsoft Office products, specifically Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Previous experience with verbal and written employee communications.
- Ability to multi-task, possess excellent time management and strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information including pay data, disciplinary actions, LOA related topics, etc.
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations and act in a professional manner.
- Ability to effectively partner with coworkers at all levels within the organization; must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Preferred 2-5 years of HR Generalist experience
- Bilingual a plus, Spanish and English speaking
- Preferred experience and knowledge of the organic produce industry
- Preferred experience working with an organization with aspirational sustainability goals
- Familiarity supporting wholesale distribution companies and warehouse environments
About Organically Grown Company: Founded in 1978 by a few gardeners, small-scale farmers, hippies, environmental activists, and dreamers living near Eugene, OR, today Organically Grown Company buys, aggregates, and distributes fresh, organically grown produce to retailers and eaters across the Pacific Northwest region. Learn more at www.organicgrown.com.
As of 2018, we are owned by a Perpetual Purpose Trust, whose primary purpose is not to extract a profit, but rather to help OGC and other like-minded businesses fulfil our mission – serving sustainable food and agriculture communities. We look for people who share our passion for organic agriculture and sustainable business practices, who value teamwork, honesty, transparency, and an egalitarian workplace; and who engage others with joy and gratitude. Our products are “just in time” need careful handling and change by the season. Our coworkers embrace that challenge and strive to provide exceptional customer experiences while in pursuit of operational excellence.
We do all this with gratitude, integrity, collaboration, resiliency, and grit. We believe in doing things a little differently here at OGC and living our values authentically.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organically Grown Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Address 20078 NE Sandy Blvd Portland, OR 97230