The Port of Portland connects people and passengers with the world, drives economic growth, and improves our region’s quality of life. We operate airports, marine terminals, and industrial properties within the Portland Metro Area. We are looking for a collaborative, detail-oriented, and engaging individual to join our dynamic Human Resources Operations team as a Human Resources Generalist. In this role, you will support HR specialty areas including compensation, benefits, employee recognition, HR systems, and other functional areas. You will deepen your skills in a range of HR disciplines, engage in the Port’s high-priority equity efforts, and provide essential services to our employees.
The Port of Portland is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our employees and community. As part of this commitment, all Port employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exception and accommodation as a condition of employment. Candidates must provide proof of vaccination or have a Port-approved exception and accommodation prior to beginning work at the Port.
* This position is classified as FLSA exempt, therefore it is not eligible for overtime compensation for hours worked in excess of a 40-hour work week.
Summary of Essential Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with the compensation consultant to provide thorough and accurate support and customer service in all areas of employee compensation.
- Input relevant data and complete annual salary surveys.
- Respond to routine compensation-related requests.
- Maintain and update position descriptions, review requisitions, and compile various compensation-related data as needed.
- Support the benefits team in their monthly reconciliations and annual open enrollment.
- Coordinate monthly benefit bill payments, which includes running reports, reconciling payments, and doing so with a high degree of accuracy.
- Assist with annual open enrollment by preparing various forms, handling annual testing, new employee benefit data entry, and answering employee questions.
- Assist with preparation of total compensation statements, employee leave, and other benefits-related program needs.
- Perform administrative functions to support the employee engagement and recognition program.
- Administer the recognition contract, annual payments, and bonus awards.
- Track and report expenditures and expenditure trends.
- Provide campaign assistance and follow up on system issues.
- Serve as a backup for HR systems functions including learning, performance, merit, and assist the talent acquisition program with applicant communication and scheduling as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business, or a related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years detailed administrative experience in an office environment or the equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience. Human Resources experience or experience as a generalist responsible for wide ranging duties across multiple disciplines is preferred.
- Working knowledge of the following:
- Microsoft Office Suite, including at least intermediate knowledge of Excel (various formulas, V lookups, pivot tables, etc.).
- Fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of human resources.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proven attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong customer service, follow-through, problem solving, and initiative
- Understanding of how to prioritize multiple projects to meet deadlines
- Promotes safety as a guiding principle and regular practice in accomplishing work
- Maintains strict confidentiality
- Shows the utmost respect for others and is a proven team player
- Demonstrate the Port’s commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive.
- Safety: The Port promotes safety as a guiding principle and practice in accomplishing work by complying with safety and health policies and procedures and consistently seeking improvements that support operational excellence.
- Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don’t just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
- Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
- Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other safety-sensitive positions.
- ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that they need an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6000
- Address 7200 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218