The HR Manager (HRM) is a critical thinker that is responsible for Willamette University’s employment and employee relations functions. The HRM is resourceful and adaptable. Reporting directly to the Assistant Vice President of Human Resources, the HRM is responsible for the implementation, maintenance, regulatory compliance, and administration of university-wide recruitment and employment activities. At the direction of the AVP for HR, the HRM will be the main point of contact for university employee relations activities.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for university employee relations. Maintains employee relations files, as well as serves as the primary point of contact for maxient reporting
- Advises employees and management regarding employment policies and practices as well as legal implications of employment actions, and assists with employee relations issues as they arise.
- At the direction of the AVP for HR, conducts investigations as needed and serves as responsible party for addressing issues of harassment and equal employment opportunity.
- In consultation with administration, assists management in administration of employment actions, including those arising from investigations, as needed.
- Ensures compliance with all state and federal discrimination and employment regulation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Partner with internal resources to create an overall recruiting and onboarding strategy, focused on attracting qualified, diverse candidates
- Responsible for managing the Applicant Tracking System
- Partner with hiring managers to create and backfill new positions. Assist with establishing search committees. Make recommendations on postings
- Partner with the HR Director to assist with Search Advocacy Training as well as other on-boarding related training.
- Own the candidate experience from application to hire, including all touch-points, and streamlining internal processes and enhancing communication to applicants, candidates and new employees
- Manage Background Check Process
- Responsible for I-9 Compliance
- Ensure that the hiring policies, procedures, processes, forms, and records are legally compliant and up to date
- Serves as the subject matter expert for all aspects of student hiring, including, job requisitions, on-boarding and I-9 Verification.
- Collaborates with University hiring managers to ensure accurate and compliant hiring practices for student employees.
- Manages job postings and vendor relationships.
- Other Duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of three years of experience with HR Generalist experience, including, employee relations, investigations, recruitment and classification, preferably in a higher education or equivalent environment
- Knowledge of laws and best practices related to essential functions
- Knowledge and understanding of various workplace and employment regulations including but not limited to FMLA, ADA, Fair Labor Standards Act, Oregon Pay Equity Act, Equal Employment Opportunity and other federal and state laws that apply to compensation, classification and hiring
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong critical thinking, creative problem solving, and decision making skills
- Ability to reside in Oregon by the first day of employment or otherwise perform work primarily in Oregon
TYPICAL WORK LOCATION/SCHEDULE: Typical office work week. Willamette University offers a hybrid work environment. Telecommuting is permitted but on site work in Salem and/or Portland will be required at times.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING CONDITIONS: Typical work is performed indoors in a normal office environment.
OTHER DUTIES: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Address 900 State St, Salem, OR 97301