Deadline to apply extended: October 19, 2021 @ 5:00 pm, Pacific Time
You are a strategic, solutions-oriented professional with human resources experience in a union environment. Your ability to lead with emotional intelligence, using trauma-informed practices, allows you to adeptly work to understand multiple, varying interests, clients and stakeholders while building relationships and trust along the way. You help drive change efforts and workforce planning strategies by building collaborative, trusting relationships with senior leaders and key partners. In this role you will be one of several experienced HR Business Partners on the Labor and Employee Relations Team. Working both independently and as part of this team, you will be relied upon as a consultant and trusted subject matter expert on day-to-day and strategic Human Resources activities.
What you will do
In this role, you’ll be responsible for working with departmental directors, managers, union representatives, line staff and the greater Human Resources team to ensure human resources practices are consistent, equitable, and align with our core organizational values and departmental objectives. Leading with a solutions-based approach, collaborative spirit, and respect, you will be responsible for working primarily with specific departments/business units that make up Metro’s vast venues, external services, and internal service departments. Additionally, this role will:
- Serves as a first point of contact for Metro employees navigating HR questions and issues; researching and responding to inquiries; and connecting employees with appropriate additional HR staff or resources as needed.
- Provides HR guidance, advisement, and consulting services to managers and employees on a wide range of HR areas of expertise to include employee & labor relations, conflict resolution, leave administration, performance evaluation and management, contract and policy interpretation, and ADA compliance.
- Conducts workplace investigations related to performance, CBA/policy and rule violations, misconduct, and other workplace issues.
- Partners with the Labor Relations team on complex investigations or issues (related to protected class, discrimination & harassment, etc.)
- Provides professional and strategic guidance and advisement to managers and directors on navigating employee relations issues.
- Applies policies and collective bargaining agreements as they relate to vacancies, promotions, recalls, transfers, and other recruitment related activities.
- Assists with senior level recruitment needs as needed.
Process Improvement and Project Management:
- Partners with Metro’s Employee and Labor Relations team, and Union Representatives, to oversee the layoff, bumping, and re-call processes for all of Metro.
- Assists in process improvement projects for HR including developing and implementing strategic goals and objectives in support of HR team’s overall goals.
- Represents HR interests in various meetings and committees. Partners with the HR team including those that oversee benefits, classification processes, training and development, DEI, and other associated partners on projects and process improvements to support assigned departments and portfolios.
Reclassification and Classification Compensation:
- Acts as a consultant to department managers and employees on classification and compensation policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Evaluates and determines appropriate classification on new positions, reclassifications, and reorganization requests within their assigned department. Consults with the Class/Comp Specialist and Benefits team as needed.
- Provides direction to departments on reorganizations to ensure positions are properly classified to meet business needs while also considering the employees in current positions and potential implications to them in a reorganization.
Policy, Leaves and Accommodations Consultations:
- Answers general questions from staff about leave options, directs them to resources and information. Refer staff and managers to the Leaves Specialist to initiate formal leave processes.
- Provides guidance and consultation to assigned departments about leave policy interpretation (personnel rules, labor contracts, past practices, insurance contracts, federal and state regulations) in consultation with Leaves Specialist
- Receives and completes accommodations requests under ADA, as well as religious accommodations. Consults with the LER team, benefits team, and OMA as needed.
- Ability to makes informed decisions through an objective, equitable lens.
- Culturally competent practices in trauma-informed workplace, diversity, racial equity, and inclusion.
- Manages job duties with competing priorities and multiple stakeholders.
- Presents complex information in a clear and concise manner.
Experience and education
- A Bachelor’s degree in human resources or a related field or professional certification related to the job’s duties AND
- Five years of experience in employee relations or other HR Generalist or Business Partner work. OR
- Any combination of experience and education that provides the necessary skills, knowledge and ability to perform assigned tasks.
1) Complete electronic application, 2) Resume, and 3) Answers to supplemental questions.
To apply: visit www.oregonmetro.gov/jobs for the complete job announcement and a link to our online hiring center.
- Address 600 NE Grand Ave, Portland, OR 97232