Position Announcement – Human Resources Director
Outside In is looking for a Human Resources Director who will support the work of our amazing staff, most of them Union members, with people oriented strategies that lead to effective and equitable human resources processes and support the advancement of our mission and goals.
This Human Resources Director Opportunity
We are looking for a collaborative HR leader to develop, communicate, and implement key HR programs, best practices and people oriented solutions with our senior management team. We need a leader who will serve as a key resource for supervisors and employees through sensing, listening, providing guidance and mentorship, and helping parties achieve resolution when difficult situations arise. We are searching for a director who is actively anti-racist, culturally competent, and queer competent. A leader who thrives solving complex problems, is flexible and adaptable to change, and can demonstrate strong communication and presentation skills to communicate across all levels of the organization.
The HR Director will oversee the HR Manager, HR Assistant, Payroll & HRIS Administrator, and Safety and Disaster Preparedness Program Manager and report to the Executive Director.
This is a full-time, exempt position with a starting annual salary range of $75,000-$85,000. Outside In offers an excellent benefits package, including comprehensive medical and dental insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, an Employee Assistance Program, health, dependent care, and transportation flex plans, 403(b) retirement plan with full vestment on day one, 18 days of paid vacation in your first year with increases every year until your sixth year, paid holidays, and an Employee Discount Program that offers employer discounts on everything from dining to cars.
About Outside In
For 52 years, Outside In has transformed thousands of lives by helping break the cycles of chronic homelessness, poverty, and poor health among Portland’s LGBTQIA+ community, people of color, those experiencing homelessness, and the underserved. Our health clinic and young adult programs strive to meet people where they are and provide safe, affirming spaces for our community to receive judgment-free care and support. Outside In offers services in Portland Metro Region.
What you’ll do
- Effectively plan, design, develop, and evaluate the Agency’s people strategy and all human resource-related initiatives that support organizational strategic goals. Actively participates in strategic planning activities with the SMT and in collaboration with the board of directors.
- Supports the Agency’s equity and inclusion strategies and applies an equity lens to HR functions.
- Structures, develops, organizes, implements, directs and evaluates the organization’s HR functions, including talent acquisition and staffing plans, compensation, benefits, performance management, training and development, budget, and labor relations.
- Acts as management representative on Union negotiations, in all labor relations and cultivates collaborative relationship with the Union. Provides expert advice on collective bargaining and labor relations procedures.
- Provides expert advice, coaching, and counsel to SMT, managers, and supervisors on all HR related matters.
- In collaboration with finance director, oversees benefit plans, negotiates contracts, provides recommendations for benefit plan changes, and oversees required compliance audits, including administering the 403b retirement plan.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures organization’s compliance. Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
We are committed to having an applicant pool for this position that reflects the diversity of the people we serve, and we highly encourage Black, Indigenous and People of Color and Queer folx to apply.
Studies have shown that women and Black, Indigenous and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We know that the best candidates for this job might come from less “traditional” backgrounds, and if this position speaks to you, we encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our described qualifications.
Five years’ experience as an HR Director or HR Manager or similar position in a unionized environment.
SHRM-CP/SCP or PHR/SPHR preferred
Please follow the link of the position for which you wish to apply and complete the online application. A resume and cover letter are required. You can submit these documents in any format, but pdf works best. In your cover letter please address the following:
- How would this position contribute to the pursuit of your long-term professional goals?
- If you were selected for this position, how would you use your skills and experience to contribute to equity, inclusion, and community growth at Outside In?
- Address 1132 SW 13th Avenue