Job Title: Human Resources Generalist
Reports to: VP of Finance
FLSA Status: Exempt
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
Please read this job description carefully and ask for clarification if you have difficulty understanding the functions of this job.
Please describe any accommodations that you need in order to perform this job.
The Human Resources Generalist plans, develops, recommends, and implements human resources activities, policies, procedures, and programs for the Company, including assisting the Management Team as requested. In addition, the Human Resources Generalist manages activities relating to recruiting, employee education and training, management development, performance management, employee training and education, employee relations, equal employment opportunity, benefits administration, and salary administration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include but are not limited to the following:
- Overseeing and processing payroll
- Maintaining human resources information system
- Creating and revising job descriptions
- Conducting annual salary surveys if necessary
- Analyzing, and updating salary budget
- Analyzing and updating performance management program
- Revising, and recommending personnel policies and procedures
- Maintaining and revising handbook on policies and procedures
- Performing benefits administration including enrollment in benefits
- Overseeing recruitment efforts for all personnel, including writing and placing job ads if necessary
- Conducting, reviewing, and redesigning new employee orientations
- Conducting employee relations counseling
- Overseeing exit interviews
- Maintaining department records and reports according to the law and records retention schedule
- Participating in staff meetings as necessary
- Maintaining company directory and other organizational charts
- Recommending new policies, approaches, and procedures
- Administering Company and legally required leave programs as necessary
- Filing applicable legally required documents as necessary, such as EEO1, VETS100 or others
- Respond to and coordinate workers’ compensation and unemployment claims
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements
- Practice a high level of confidentiality, discretion and ethical behavior related to all company information, duties, and tasks
- Coordinating investigations, maintaining records and representing the organization at hearings if necessary
- Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Any other duties, responsibilities, or tasks as requested by Company
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Five plus years of human resources experience as generalist in all areas of discipline; Experience in the retail industry preferred but not required; bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in Human Resources (or an equivalent major) from college or university helpful but not required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required: like the retail industry; like engaging with other employees; ability to handle multiple projects with questions from others and interruptions; have broad base of knowledge on human resources; comfortable working at family owned and run business; ability to deal with a variety of different personalities at all levels of the company; comfortable with travel between store locations when necessary.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common industry journals, reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from employees, regulatory agencies, vendors or members of the business community. Ability to communicate important information to employees in understandable terms, including job expectations, disciplinary actions, and salary and benefits information. Ability to effectively present information to top management and Board of Directors in an effective format.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Candidates must be legally employable by a U. S. business
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP helpful but not essential
This job operates in an office and office environment with occasional work in retail store locations. Work with and operates phones, computers, fax machines, copiers, and other office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continually required to sit, stand, and walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; talk or hear. Occasionally required stoop, and reach with hands and arms. Rarely required to kneel, crouch or crawl, climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and rarely lift or move more than 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Acknowledgement & Receipt
I have read and understand the requirements of this job and can safely and effectively perform all the job functions listed above either with or without reasonable accommodation. I also acknowledge that I have received a copy my job description for reference and my questions relating to my duties have been answered satisfactorily. I acknowledge and understand that changes will be made from time to time without prior notice, and that I will receive a copy of changes made.
Employee Name (print) Signature Date