The closing date for this position is February 19, 2020
The Manager, HR Business Partnering plays a crucial role in the execution of the HR Strategy and HR operations. Partnering with client business leaders in support of strategic business objectives, the Manager advises and coaches managers and employees in all elements of the employee life cycle and talent management, including current and future people implications. The Manager will lead on the design and implementation of several key HR initiatives such as improved performance management, a strengthened employee relations/investigation process, development of retention strategies, analysis of compensation and benefits approaches. A major goal of this initiative work is to ensure global consistency around HR standards and best practices. This work will be done under the leadership of the Director, Global Human Resources, and through managing a team of Business Partners.
- Manage the Business Partnering and HR operations team, ensuring effective support for all client groups
- Work collaboratively as part of the HR leadership team and contributes to the development of strategic directions and people-related priorities
- Function as a Strategic Partner with managers and employees of assigned client groups, including:
- Supporting at least one HQ department and at least one country field office (this role will determine client group assignments for the Business Partners on the team)
- Provide coaching and guidance on HR related issues and challenges. Advise and partner with client groups to meet key strategic objectives through relevant and aligned people and organizational interventions.
- Support restructuring and reorganization work for client groups, advising management on process, communication needs, development of job descriptions and labor law risks
- Become an Employee Champion acting as a single point of contact and intermediary for employees and management in assigned business units including:
- Support policy interpretation and application
- Be a voice and advocate for staff
- Provide guidance, counseling and training to leaders on employee relations issues
- Act as a change agent to
- Drive consistency between HQ and field offices on people related issues, systems and processes
- Actively partner with business leaders and work with them to collaboratively identify and practice improvement initiatives
- Act as a functional expert
- Serve as HR lead on at least one of the major HR topical areas (performance management, PSEA, employee relations, retention, etc)
- Maintain current understanding of the client’s strategy and people related issues by becoming a valuable member of the client’s leadership team
- Support achievement of organizational objectives by conducting occasional HR audits and compliance checks
- Apply rigorous project management techniques to planning and implementing cross-functional HR initiatives that support current and future business strategies
- Deploy into emergency response or global program, as needed (up to 3 weeks at a time, for no longer than 20% of total work time)
- Utilize volunteers whenever possible.
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Additional duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as human resources, business, organizational leadership, organizational development or similar.
- MBA or Master’s degree in relevant field.
- PHR, SPHR, GPHR or Similar
- Minimum eight (8) years’ human resources management experience, including at least 3 years in a Business Partnering function
- Experience in international HR
- Experience directly supervising staff.
- Experience with US and labor law
- Experience working for an international NGO and in the humanitarian industry
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate complex ideas and business concepts in accessible terms.
- Able to exercise excellent professional judgment
- Strategic thinking and decision making capabilities
- Ability to establish and maintain a good rapport with various levels of management
- Strong influencing skills with senior leadership
- Highly analytical with proven problem-solving skills
- Strong business acumen and demonstrated capacity to work as a business partner with managers
- High service/customer orientation. Outstanding people and client relationship skills, including with those long-distance and in multi-cultural environment.
- Strong orientation to deliver on projects and initiatives, project management experience a plus.
- Systems thinker committed to process improvement and continual learning.
- Enjoys working in an environment subject to change.
- Ability to occasionally work early or late hours to accommodate overseas offices.
- Ability to occasionally work extended hours to meet project deadlines or attend to emergency situations.
- Ability to deploy into emergency response or global program, as needed (up to 3 weeks at a time, for no longer than 20% of total work time)
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Requires frequent use of personal computer, including word processing, database programs; calculator, telephone, copy machine, and fax machine.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands, and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.