Under the general direction of the Human Resources Director, is responsible for the timely and accurate preparation and processing of payroll, resolving errors, and preparing and analyzing payroll reports.
- Prepares and processes semi-monthly payroll by pulling data from timekeeping software; reviews information for completeness and accuracy. Analyzes, prepares, and imports payroll data into payroll system. Transmits payroll and distributes pay receipts and checks in a timely and accurate fashion. Reviews and resolves errors as quickly as administratively feasible, but generally within 24 hours of notification.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual, as well as other requested payroll-related reports within established timeframes to include monthly reconciliation reports, FTE reports, Annual Leave Bank (ALB) reports, and various governmental reporting. Ensures accuracy of reports. Distributes to established personnel and others as necessary.
- Manages garnishments in conjunction with payroll servicer.
- Works with HRIS Analyst to address necessary maintenance to payroll system to ensure accurateness of data. Supports the maintenance and upgrades related to the payroll, timekeeping, and HRIS products.
- Conducts one-on-one and small group training sessions to ensure that new and current employees understand how to use timekeeping software.
- Responsible for various internal audit functions to include benefit files, new hires, terminated personnel files, pay information, and others as needed.
- Oversees the maintenance of new and terminated employee files and benefits files. Ensures that all required information is filed in a timely manner.
- Works with the Benefits Administrator to ensure the appropriate processing of payroll and benefits for employees on leave of absence. May reconcile the monthly premium statements for all employee benefits programs. Acts as the backup to ensure the timely remittance of 401k contributions.
- Performs other duties / projects as assigned in a positive, professional manner at all times.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in performing job duties; solid understanding of organizational policies, procedures, and operations. Requires some independent judgment.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills. Ability to convey a positive and professional image. Experience working effectively in a team environment.
- Basic knowledge of HR-related laws and regulations including general employment discrimination laws, leave of absence laws, and other laws and regulations related to employee benefits.
- General understanding of basic accounting principles.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and in a self-directed manner.
- High school diploma or equivalent with some college courses. Two to three years payroll experience using payroll and timekeeping products (UKG Pro/UltiPro preferred).
- Current knowledge of Oregon and Washington local, state, and federal wage and hour laws (including Tri-Met and Lane County LTD), along with current knowledge of payroll tax regulations.
- Demonstrated skill in creating and maintaining moderately complex spreadsheets and reports using Excel and HRIS Reporting.
- Ability to protect and maintain confidential data.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Demonstrated effective project/time management skills.