Pacific University achieves excellence and distinction by investing in exceptional people to think, care, create, and pursue justice in our world. We embrace discovery in a close nurturing environment that leads to genuine transformation. Our community is diverse, sustainable, and dedicated to discovery and excellence in teaching, scholarship and practice.
At Pacific University we thrive in an extraordinary environment, surrounded by the beauty of the great Pacific Northwest, with campus locations in Forest Grove, Hillsboro, Eugene, and Woodburn. We humbly acknowledge and thank the original caretakers of the lands on which we live, work, teach, acquire and share knowledge.
The Payroll Specialist works on the day-to-day operations of hourly, salary, and student payroll, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations and reporting. This position maintains employee data records for time keeping, assuring proper tax treatment of multi-jurisdiction employer, general ledger integrations, relocation and moving reimbursements, contracts, and data integrity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Process exempt and non-exempt monthly and bi-weekly payrolls using Paycom
- Processes off-cycle manual checks as circumstances arise such as late time submissions, stop payments and reissues, advances, terminations, etc.
- Ensure accurate and timely payment of wages and reported hours worked, including paid leave, benefit accruals, time keeping records, garnishments and levies, and deductions
- Review payroll documentation for accurate and complete data entry
- Coordinate proper benefit and deduction set-up
- Coordinate the timely submission of applications in multiple states in order to set up state tax IDs, ensure proper set up and accurate state tax filings
- Resolve payroll conflicts and issues
- Provide payroll reports and research for external auditors and internal departments
- Provide training for employees and managers on the use of Paycom as it relates to payroll processing, timesheet approvals and timelines, and contacts employees and/or managers who have not submitted their timesheets for processing
- Correct HRIS database and Colleague ERP inconsistencies.
- Maintain accuracy and consistency of data in University databases entered by HR
- Prepare journal entries, reconcile payroll GL accounts monthly, quarterly, and annually, and verify W2s prior to issuance
- Generate, verify and distribute payroll reports, which include: new hire, termination, anniversary, birthday, employee lists, payroll earnings. unpaid wages, manual checks, etc.
- Implement, maintain, and review hourly and salary payroll processing and systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions
- Manage accurate time off accrual balances
- Process Short Term Disability leaves and pay calculations in Benefit Specialist’s absence
- Manage faculty contract pay administration
- Serve as Payroll Manager in their absence
- Perform other duties as assigned
SUPPORT DEPARTMENTAL OBJECTIVES
- Build, adapt, and maintain tools and reports
- Suggest strategies for process improvements
- Develop and maintain documentation standards and procedures
- Support change management processes within the department
- Train new and existing employees on systems and processes
- Provide support and advice on cross-functional projects
- Participate in team meetings; provide knowledge, support, and advice for interdepartmental process improvements, projects, or policy revisions
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent experience required
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible payroll experience required
- Paycom experience preferred
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or other equivalent certification preferred
- Higher education experience preferred
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & BEHAVIORS
- Working knowledge of payroll and accounting principles, processes and procedures
- Ability to handle highly confidential records
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Superior time management skills with a proven ability to efficiently manage multiple, concurrent, time-sensitive projects and priorities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Proficient with payroll software
- Proficient knowledge of federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds
- General office environment
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk, working on a computer
- Communicate effectively via phone, email, online meetings, and in person
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds at times
At Pacific University we are dedicated to providing experiences that are authentic, holistic, equity minded, and responsive. We continue to develop our equity practices with a particular focus on racial equity.
For qualifying employees, our benefits include generous paid time off for vacation, holidays (including winter break) and sick leave. We offer medical coverage with alternative care (in-network services covered at 100% after payroll deduction), comprehensive dental, vision plans, 9% contribution to retirement after one year of service with no match required, free mental health appointments, and tuition remission for employees and their dependents. We cover employer paid life, short term disability, and long term disability insurance. On campus benefits include free access to our sports facility and library, with discounts on campus food, bookstore purchases, clinic services, and gear rentals through our outdoor program (kayaks, snow shoes, bikes and more).
Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Studies have shown that candidates that are female and/or BIPOC are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet all of the qualifications they find in the job description. We are seeking the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be a person who comes from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every minimum qualification described or are unsure if your experience could be considered related experience.
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY
It is the policy of Pacific University not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion or religious creed, disability, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military, veteran or Vietnam Era status, or any other protected classification recognized by applicable law, in admission, access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, or any other applicable state or federal law, or city ordinance. Questions or complaints may be directed to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, 2043 College Way, Forest Grove, OR 97116, firstname.lastname@example.org.