When you break it down, the ideal candidate for this job is sort of two halves of the same person. One half is an accounting-minded, number-lover who’s naturally skilled at customer service and has an excellent eye for details.
The other half has worked with PERS (Oregon’s Public Employee Retirement System) or is familiar with it, knows payroll systems and rules, has experience processing payroll in Workday, and welcomes the opportunity to be a part of our Workday implementation.
This is your chance to work on all aspects of payroll for a not-for-profit company with more than a thousand employees. You’ll collaborate with our human resources and finance and accounting divisions, and help supervisors and employees pretty much every day.
It requires a high-performing team member and effective communicator, someone who will follow procedures, but will also ask “Why?” because you’re curious and desire a deeper understanding of how things work. You’re adaptable, a constructive contributor, and are driven to help people.
If you get excited about this kind of work, believe in SAIF’s mission and vision, and appreciate our very competitive benefits and work/life balance, check out the job description now.
- Enter and/or audit data into the payroll and time and attendance system to meet processing and reporting deadlines. Identify, research, and correct discrepancies.
- Disburse checks and issue new hire or termination checks according to legal requirements and SAIF policies.
- Set up and maintain relocation tax files in accordance with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Publication 521 and deliver required documentation to recipients.
- Respond to salary certification requests from outside vendors.
- Run and distribute reports.
- Maintain a current knowledge of payroll related laws and regulations.
- Reconcile benefit premiums with vendor billings to ensure accuracy. Refer discrepancies to benefits staff for resolution.
- Reconcile payroll system data to SAIF accounting records, including the general ledger.
- Serve as a technical resource for time and attendance, payroll, and related questions and issues.
- Maintain the Public Employees Retirement System Electronic Data Exchange (PERS EDX) system. Respond to PERS information requests.
- Explain SAIF’s payroll and time and attendance process to new employees during New Employee Orientation (NEO). Answer employee questions and provide other payroll-related information as needed.
- Complete quarterly reconciliation of all payroll accumulators to ensure accuracy of W-2’s.
The following qualifications are recommended:
- Three or more years of experience processing payroll is preferred. Two or more years human resources experience demonstrating the skills and abilities to analyze, recommend, and communicate human resources policies and practices.
- A high school diploma or equivalent. A Certified Payroll Professional designation is preferred.
- Other combinations of skills and experience may be considered.
To receive consideration, please submit your resume with a cover letter by the close of this recruitment. We want your submission to count, so be sure it’s complete.
This recruitment will close at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 23, 2021.
If a sufficient number of qualified applications are received this recruitment may close early.
We provide preference to qualifying and disabled veterans. For more information please visit saif.com/veterans.
Since 1914, SAIF has been taking care of injured workers, helping people get back to work, and keeping rates low by focusing on workplace safety. Together with our partners, we strive to make Oregon the safest and healthiest place to work.
SAIF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in its workplace.