The Finance Division of the Department of Support Services manages the accounting system and financial records of the County, reports on the County’s fiscal affairs, and provides advice and assistance to operating departments on financial administration matters. This is a collaborative team that strives for a work environment built on trust with strong leadership support and provides excellent support to our internal and external customers.
As a Payroll Specialist you will be one of two employees who administer the preparation and coordination of the central payroll operation for Washington County. The successful candidate will oversee the processing of bi-weekly payroll to ensure delivery of accurate pay statements to employees and deduction payments to appropriate providers. Essential responsibilities will also include reviewing, verifying, balancing and processing payroll data. Additionally, if selected, you will interpret County policies, union contracts, and government regulations pertaining to payroll procedures.
The ideal candidate will have directly related experience in a government setting including knowledge of Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), intermediate to advanced level working knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel and Word, working with Oracle (or the equivalent) Enterprise Reporting System (ERP), possess an advanced level of attention to detail and comprehension and/or experience working with multiple union contracts. Certified Payroll Professional Certification preferred but not required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education and Experience:
A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Possession of an Associate’s Degree in accounting, business, or related field AND two (2) or more years of work experience related to maintaining a payroll system or processing payroll records; OR
- Accounting Certificate (12 months) AND three (3) or more years of work experience related to maintaining a payroll system or processing payroll records; OR
- Five (5) or more years of paraprofessional work experience maintaining a payroll system or processing payroll records.
Additional Licenses, Certificates, Physical Abilities, and Specialty Requirements:
- The incumbent must pass an extensive background check which includes evaluation of credit history.
Questions (?) Regarding This Recruitment:
Camille Hughes, Talent Acquisition Business Partner
For more information and to apply for this position please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cowashingtonor/jobs/2431643/payroll-specialist
- Salary Offer $26.57 - $32.29 hourly
- External File 2019-132-Job-Bulletin.pdf