General Statement of Duties
This position supervises the organization’s payroll function, ensuring accurate and timely preparation, processing, distribution, and documentation of employee payroll. Primary responsibilities include policy and process leadership and communication, as well as technical oversight and staff supervision. The Payroll Supervisor operates as the subject matter expert and escalation point to resolve issues. This position looks for process improvements and designs and implements those improvements in collaboration with internal HR and Finance stakeholders.
Essential Position Functions
Policy and Process Oversight
- Develop, recommend, and implement payroll policies and practices; monitor to ensure effectiveness; identify and manage improvements and change.
- Monitor external trends and legal compliance and risk mitigation; provide guidance to staff on interpretation and application within the organization.
- Propose program design and costing recommendations to the VP of Human Resources where executive decisions and/or additional resources are required.
- Provide input into HR strategic planning, striving to align functional objectives to the organizational vision, mission, and strategies; actively lead goal setting for areas of responsibility.
- Serve as a liaison with Finance payroll accounting staff to ensure effective procedures and integration.
- Manage use and relationships with payroll system vendors and HR fiduciary consultants
- Participate in vendor assessments, product renewals, and rate evaluations.
- Lead payroll system reviews and upgrades.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Continually grow knowledge and skills in employment practices and trends; attend relevant conferences, seminars, and meetings, as networking and growth opportunities.
- Stays current on payroll systems to ensure effective integration with other HR systems.
- Supervise daily payroll processing activities and staff, ensuring payroll is processed timely and accurately.
- Review payroll calculations, deductions, insurance coverage, wage garnishments, tax filings, child support, etc.
- Review tax filings prior to vendor submission.
- Develop, implement, and utilize payroll control measures.
- Configure and manage payroll system permissions and codes.
- Coordinate with HR and finance teams to carry out payroll processing.
- Ensure employee payroll records are up-to-date and accurate.
- Analyze payroll problems and provide appropriate resolutions.
- Address payroll related queries and requests from employees as needed.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Follow and enforce federal, state and local payroll laws.
- Ensure adherence to budget for area of responsibility; recommend and implement cost savings approaches where feasible.
- Ensure employment inquiries and complaints relating to areas of oversight are handled quickly, confidentially, equitably and courteously.
- Provide back-up coverage for payroll staff during vacations and/or high-volume work periods.
Communication and Education
- Serve as a lead role in managing communications pertaining to payroll services.
- Facilitate management and employee understanding of payroll procedures.
- Provide technical guidance and problem-solving steps with organizational leadership, as well as to HR staff, managers, and employees as needed.
- Serve as a resource to organizational development and training staff in the creation and delivery of payroll curriculum.
- Conduct or help facilitate presentations to managers and employees; represent HR with external stakeholders as needed.
Management and Leadership
- Train, supervise and evaluate performance of assigned staff.
- Provide staff with the training, mentoring and resources necessary to carry out their work.
- Support staff participation in relevant seminars, job fairs, conferences, and other learning forums.
- Ensure adherence to department and organizational standards, policies and procedures.
- Ensure performance goals, expectations and standards are clearly understood by supervised staff.
- Evaluate employees’ performance on an ongoing basis; take appropriate corrective action if needed.
Essential Departmental and Organizational Functions
- Propose and implement process improvements.
- Meet deadlines for completion of work.
- Maintain agreed upon work schedule.
- Demonstrate cooperation and teamwork.
- Provide cross-training on specific job responsibilities.
- Meet identified business goals that contribute to departmental goals.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Excellent knowledge of payroll functions, including the ability to process payroll
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of federal, state and local laws, regulations, and statutes related to essential functions
- Ability to develop payroll policies and processes and oversee effective implementation
- Strong people supervision skills, including the ability to coach, develop and motivate staff
- Eagerness to explore innovative approaches and solutions and lead change management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to give presentations
- Ability to educate and give concise information and directions
- Ability to build relationships with management, employees, and vendors
- Ability to use independent judgment and handle confidential information with discretion
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Proficient computer skills, including spreadsheets and word processing
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to oversee excellent service to internal and external customers and vendors
- Ability to work in an environment with diverse individuals and groups
Cognitive and Other Skills and Abilities
Ability to focus on and comprehend information, learn new skills and abilities, assess a situation and seek or determine appropriate resolution, accept managerial direction and feedback, and tolerate and manage stress.
Education and/or Experience
Minimum 5 years’ payroll experience required, including minimum 2 years in a supervisory role. Experience with Ultimate Software/UltiPro payroll system strongly preferred.
To apply for this position, please visit our website at https://careoregon.org/careers
Equal opportunity employer. This company considers all candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Veterans welcome to apply