Metro has an exciting opportunity for a Program Manager – Labor and Employee Relations
You are a strategic, solutions-oriented expert on policy and contract interpretation in a union environment. Your ability to lead with emotional intelligence allows you to adeptly work to understand multiple, varying interests and stakeholders while developing trust along the way.
As a senior member of the Human Resources Labor and Employee Relations team, you will be one of three highly knowledgeable and experienced program managers serving as a solutions focused guide. Working independently and as part of this team, you will be relied upon as a contract manager and negotiator, consultant/influencer and trusted subject matter expert in Labor and Employee Relations.
What you will do:
In this role, you’ll be responsible for working with departmental directors, managers and the greater Human Resources team to ensure Metro’s labor and employee relations practices are consistent, equitable and align with our core organizational values and departmental objectives. Leading with a solutions based approach, collaborative spirit, and mutual respect, you will be responsible for working primarily with specific assigned unions of Metro’s eight union partners. Additionally, this role will:
- Develop, recommend and implement a labor relations policy and strategy that advances Metro’s overall objectives.
- Participate in labor contract negotiations as chief negotiator for your designated union contracts, including development and implementation of negotiation strategy; identify relevant operational issues, conduct analysis, prepare policy briefing documents, and maintain a communication strategy for obtaining input and direction.
- Collaborate and coach management on investigation, grievance and arbitration processes. Develop and implement workshops and other tools and materials for executives, managers and others.
- Provide advisement on policy and contract interpretation, developing strategies to proactively address issues that impact team or individual performance and assisting with workplace conflict resolution.
- Conduct investigations regarding possible violations of union contracts and Metro policies and procedures, including claims of harassment; assist in implementation of recommended actions.
- Represent Metro in arbitrations and mediations.
- Analyze highly complex issues related to contract or policy interpretation in situations for which there may be no precedent.
- Partner with internal employment attorneys and other internal investigative bodies as necessary.
- Monitor and analyze current laws and regulations and ensure policies, benefit plans and agreements comply.
- Drive change efforts and workforce planning strategies by building collaborative, trusting and credible relationships with senior leaders and key partners. Most importantly, you will model these behaviors every day.
Traits for success:
- Expert knowledge and experience in leading contract negotiations in a public sector/governmental environment
- Leadership in promoting an environment that supports equity, where staff of all backgrounds can come to work and thrive in a safe and welcoming workplace.
- Advanced knowledge of regulations and laws applicable to human resources and labor relations.
- Ability to listen and communicate clearly and persuasively with Metro leadership and managers, employees, community members and various community and business groups.
- Ability to provide planning, and technical oversight in developing goals and objectives.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, with the ability to quickly gain trust working across organizational lines.
Experience and education:
- Six years of directly related and progressive experience in Human Resources; 3 years of which include experience working in a unionized environment AND
- A Bachelor’s degree in human resources or a related field; AND either, a related advanced degree or professional certification; OR
- Any combination of experience and education that provides the necessary skills, knowledge and ability to perform assigned tasks
Learn more about this role and apply here!
- Address 600 NE Grande Ave; Portland Oregon 97232