At PGE, our work involves dreaming about, planning for, and realizing a smarter, cleaner, more enduring Oregon neighborhood. Its core to our DNA and we haven’t stopped since we started in 1888. We energize lives, strengthen communities and drive advancements in energy that promote social, economic and environmental progress. We’re always on the lookout for people passionate about leading and being a part of teams that are advancing innovative clean energy solutions that are also affordable and accessible to all.
Key Job Information Senior Accountant 5965 Grade 7
Career Level: P3 Career Professional Requires in-depth knowledge and experience Uses best practices and knowledge of internal or external business issues to improve products or services Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective using existing solutions Works independently, receives minimal guidance Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience
As an Accountant on the team, you will perform general accounting activities for PGE’s Subsidiaries, Transmission and Distribution, Inventory, and Allocations, including the preparation, maintenance and reconciliation of ledger accounts and financial statements. You will be responsible for accounting transactions and ensuring the integrity of internal controls and accounting records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, company policies and regulatory accounting. In addition, you will conduct accounting research and provide support for forecasting, budgeting, and variance analysis.
- Accounting Analysis Independently provides a full range of accounting and general business analytical support, including the application of complex accounting concepts; reviews work of other team members and suggests new or enhanced analyses and processes for the team
- Accounting Research Researches, documents and communicates complex issues and analyzes the downstream and upstream impacts of transactional decisions to develop recommendations; communicates to internal and external parties regarding accounting interpretations
- Financial Reporting Provides independent support, as needed, for all aspects of the monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting processes, leading the team to resolve complex issues and finalize exhibits; updates processes to respond to changing requirements
- Compliance Performs control activities to ensure compliance with internal control policies; reviews and evaluates the compliance process to determine if the organization is being responsive to the needs of PGE Internal Consulting Advises leadership on a broad range of accounting decisions and methodologies; responsible for working with cross-functional teams to respond to routine and complex management requests
- Budget Support Develops complex budget forecasts and assists in researching/resolving escalated issues; reviews budget entries prepared by others; advises management on key decisions; maintains budgets and responds to management questions/requests
- Financial Systems Gains proficiency with accounting organization-specific applications and understands how to perform complex calculations/tasks; works with IT and/or vendors to test updates, patches, issues, implementations
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Intermediate knowledge of accounting principles and concepts, including GAAP and regulatory accounting theory and practices
- Working knowledge of other accounting disciplines, such as tax Intermediate knowledge of internal controls, including the requirements of SOX
- Intermediate knowledge of accounting and finance business processes and policies
- Intermediate knowledge of related financial systems
- Intermediate knowledge of relevant utility industry operations and financial regulations
- Intermediate business-acumen
- Intermediate problem-solving skills
- Intermediate written and oral communication skills
- Intermediate interpersonal skills
- Intermediate organization and prioritization skills
- Intermediate consulting skills
- Intermediate knowledge of business process interrelationships
- Intermediate analytical thinking skills
Physical and Cognitive Demands:
- Intermediate consistent use of relevant principles to solve practical problems and to deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to adhere to set response times, deadlines and time-sensitive tasks Intermediate
- Ability to interact effectively and collaboratively within a team environment
- Ability to communicate and problem solve when under stress
- Ability to respond and adapt to frequent change
- Ability to accept and demonstrate self-awareness when provided constructive feedback
- Ability to discern feedback and acknowledge ownership of areas of improvement
- Ability to avoid future mistakes by applying reasonable skills to new but similar work situations or tasks
- Ability to successfully collaborate with peers, managers and others within the organization
- Demonstrates sound memory
- Ability to process new information to be applied consistently to work tasks
- Ability to follow accuracy standards
- Ability to follow through on decision-making tasks
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other business-related field or equivalent experience
- Experience Typically Five or more years in related field
- Certifications/Training For certain roles, CPA is preferred
Preferred – Our ideal candidate is someone that is proactive about improving processes, has a collaborative mindset, and is ready to jump into their self-development path.
Environment – Hybrid Schedule
PGE supports flexible work arrangements; however, these arrangements may need to change due to business needs or changes in responsibility.
Join us today and power your potential!
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
PGE believes in rewarding dedicated performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
PGE does not discriminate on the basis of disability. We recognize individuals have a variety of abilities to offer and we believe there is much to value and celebrate by incorporating different abilities into the work we do. One very important way we live this out is in our application and interview process. We work hard to support individuals who may need an accommodation to fully participate in these processes. If you feel you may need an accommodation, or would like to request one, please notify the Talent Acquisition Specialist (Recruiter) associated with the job posting. You may also make this request by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 503-464-7250. The Recruiter will provide information and next steps for the accommodation process. Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) team is also available for support. You can contact them at email@example.com.
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application via our PGE Careers Page by the posting close date. Posting closes at midnight (Pacific Time) on the closing date below. If no date is listed, job is open until filled.