In the role of the Employee Relations Consultant, you will be a part of an employee relations team and provide consultation and guidance to management and associates on a variety of associate related issues, including performance management, corrective counseling, policy interpretation and investigations. You will recommend appropriate action and partner with management and others to investigate and resolve HR issues. In addition, you will ensure compliance with all applicable policies, laws, and regulations. You’ll promote treatment of employees in a fair, respectful, and consistent manner that works within the framework of our core business values and objectives.
- Independently manages assigned casework, investigating highly sensitive HR issues, including conducting claimant, witness, and accused employee interviews; analyzing data from internal systems; compose investigation reports.
- Propose remedial action based on investigation findings, recommending appropriate actions to correct concerns based on assessing risks and minimizing liability.
- Analyze casework trends to produce strategic, proactive recommendations to HR and the business to proactively address and mitigate systemic issues.
- Partner in analysis and revision of people programs, policies, and practices to sustain a positive work environment for Umpqua associates.
- Consult and collaborate with business partners, the ER team, and Legal on complex associate investigations.
- Maintain reporting for various data sources – Keep ER metrics and review to assess where action can be taken to simplify or streamline a process, train managers, etc.
- Support internal projects/initiatives as needed.
- Demonstrate compliance with all bank regulations that apply to your position and keep up to date on regulation changes.
- Maintain working knowledge of our policies and procedures regarding the Bank Secrecy Act, Regulation CC, Regulation E, Bank Security, and other regulations that apply to your position
- May be asked to coach, mentor, or train others and teach coursework as subject matter expert.
- Demonstrated success as an Employee Relations or Line HR Management professional, including managing a complex caseload of multiple concurrent projects and investigations on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to build strong partnerships and work closely with line managers, senior leaders and HR colleagues. Demonstrated ability to influence others. High level of discretion, integrity, and confidentiality.
- Ability to balance a sense of urgency with thoughtful, measured, principled guidance to clients.
- Knowledge of federal and state employment and labor laws.
- Superb communication skills including effective listening, writing and presentation.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience.
- PHR, SPHR, or similar certification is preferred.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Occasional walking
- Lifting to 10 pounds
- Office Environment
No relocation is offered.
We do things a little differently here at Umpqua. Our retail stores serve as community hubs, our associates are given up to 40 hours of volunteer time each year, and we’re never satisfied with the status quo. Greatness has no finish line, so we continue every day to keep people at the center of everything we do. We focus on building relationships, understanding our customers’ needs, and connecting to people in new and innovative ways — always staying true to our mission of providing personalized banking for all people, whenever and however they prefer to bank.
Umpqua Bank is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, or disability. We maintain a drug-free workplace and may perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.