Are you excited to step into a complex world that requires a blend of mind, heart and flexibility? We at CareOregon have been strengthening communities since 1994 by making health care work for everyone. As a nonprofit health plan largely focused on Oregon’s Medicaid population, we find fulfillment in supporting the underserved.
General Statement of Duties
The Senior Payroll Specialist performs a variety of payroll activities for the organization. Primary responsibilities include payroll processing, data administration, reporting, and employee education. This is a senior level position, supporting multiple entities across multiple locations.
Essential Position Functions
- Review and verify accurate completion of employee changes, including new hires, transfers, promotions and terminations; ensure accurate updates are made to employee records within the payroll system.
- Monitor employee timecard entry and leave activity, and ensure supervisory approval.
- Prepare garnishments and other payroll deductions.
- Process timely employee payroll in accordance with the organization’s payroll calendar.
- Audit payroll to ensure accuracy; submit to Finance for final review.
- Coordinate the distribution of payroll to employees.
- Comply with all laws, regulations, and statutes pertaining to payroll.
- Calculate and process off-cycle checks as needed.
- Maintain accurate records of each pay period process.
Data Administration and Reporting
- Participate in HR and Payroll system design, implementation and upgrades, including testing.
- Review internal and external data requirements and produce reports for management review. These include but are not limited to EEO, Affirmative Action, Veterans, and DOL reporting.
- Track and provide legally required notifications to employees.
- Work with payroll system vendor on upgrades and technical problems.
- Make custom payroll system modifications to meet business needs.
- Identify potential technology and process solutions
- Perform year-end payroll activities.
- Extract and analyze data from HRIS/Payroll systems as needed for data requests and regulatory requirements.
- Create and prepare regular monthly, quarterly, annual and ad-hoc reports (e.g., headcount, EEO statistics, etc.).
- Create and maintain report and tracking mechanisms for department needs.
- Resolve problems, inconsistencies or missing data by working with document originator.
- Proactively assess data, identify trends, and recommend solutions.
- Identify ways of merging complex data sets into compelling data visualizations to tell a story.
- Support the team by updating data, charts, and models that are subject to change based upon management direction.
- Educate managers and employees on timesheet and leave functions, both electronically and in person. Provide one-on-one coaching and/or group training.
- Ensure ease of access to payroll resources
- Answer questions and resolve problems pertaining to payroll
- Serve as an internal resource to other HR staff, IS, Finance, and other HR departments in matters relating to systems capabilities
- Maintain the section of the human resource department procedural manual specific to the essential functions of this position.
- Prepare exit packets for departing employees and distribute as appropriate.
- Respond to unemployment claims.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to maintain current knowledge of federal, state and local laws, regulations, and statutes relevant to performing the essential functions of this position
- Ability to learn and use the organization’s HRIS systems
- Ability to learn organization’s payroll system and accurately process payroll for multiple organizations
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to attend to detail and be accurate
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines; strong time management skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with HR/Payroll colleagues, as well as staff across the organization
- Strong computer skills including data entry, Excel, and report writing
- Sound judgment and problem solving skills, including the ability to identify problems, consider the impact of actions taken, and provide recommendations/decisions for improvement
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to create and organize orientation/training materials
- Ability to educate, give concise information and directions
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in an environment with diverse individuals and groups
Education and/or Experience
Minimum three years of payroll processing experience for mid to large organizations required, preferably in the state of Oregon. Experience with HRIS/Payroll technology used by CareOregon preferred.
Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. CareOregon is committed to building a linguistically and culturally diverse and inclusive work environment
Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal opportunity employer. This company considers all candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
- Address Portland, OR