POSITION: Workforce & Talent Development Specialist (Exempt)
SALARY: $54,933.00 – $83,711.00 Annually
APPLY ONLINE: https://portofportland.com/Careers
The Port of Portland is a gateway to the globe, we operate multiple airports, marine terminals and business parks that connect people and passengers, drive economic growth and improve our region’s quality of life. The Workforce & Talent Development Specialist will support the Port’s business lines with establishing and implementing talent pipeline strategies for the Port’s represented workforce, to increase diversity representation in partner trade unions and further improve Port of Portland workforce.
We are looking for an outgoing team player who can partner, educate and influence. Someone with knowledge of both local and national workforce development industries. The successful candidate will exhibit a strong sense of team-orientation, be highly collaborative, and will embrace the value and importance of service. This person will share our deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and advancing practices, strategies and policies that achieve equitable outcomes.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish, maintain, and grow relationships with registered apprenticeship programs, nonprofit workforce agencies, labor unions, educational and private sector agencies to increase workforce diversity.
- Build rapport via regular interaction with customers through calls, visits, emails, and events/activities.
- Partner with agencies to identify barriers to entry and develop tactics to eliminate barriers.
- Orient agencies about the purpose of Port of Portland’s workforce development program and expectations of participation.
- Develop and implement strategies with divisions/departments to build a diverse pipeline in the trades and other business lines.
- Advise divisions/departments about opportunities related to workforce development and how to deliver results.
- Implement best practices for manager use and ongoing success.
- Partner with HR recruiters in marketing job opportunities in Navigation and Marine, expanding to additional areas in the future, including but not limited to other business lines, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities, and more.
- Ensure registered apprenticeship programs are readily available to candidates.
- Participate in career fairs, open houses, career development opportunities, etc. to support the Port of Portland’s involvement and ensure a direct impact to our workforce.
- Trade school advanced training program, at least 2 years of post-secondary education, and/or the equivalent relevant experience or training in a related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years of workforce development experience or the equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience. Previous experience with trades, unions, and registered apprenticeship programs preferred with the ability to expand outside of these parameters to include other entities.
Demonstrated knowledge in the areas of:
- Building relationships with registered apprenticeship programs, non-profit workforce agencies, labor unions, educational and private sector agencies;
- Program design and delivery, trade jobs, unions, and registered apprenticeship programs.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated ability in applying equity lens for decision-making with the focus of ongoing improvement.
- Working knowledge of both local and national workforce development industries.
- Skilled in the areas of program and/or project management.
- Able to express ideas clearly in written and oral communication with tact and diplomacy.
- Possess proficiency with current MS Office applications.
- Able to evaluate priorities and deliver decisions.
- Works effectively and harmoniously in collaboration with peers and team members,
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal communication skills who shows the utmost respect for others.
- Demonstrates initiative and is customer service focused;
- Promotes safety as a guiding principle and a regular practice in accomplishing work and focuses on safety improvements and complies with safety and health policies and procedures.
- Work with clients in the public, non-profit and non-government/government sectors.
- Assess division/department needs, opportunity areas, and co-create a workplan that supports the determined strategy.
- Communicate proven methods and intervention strategies for success and create workplans that support workforce diversification.
- Be a self-starter, make sound decisions under pressure and in the absence of specific direction.
- Work with diverse employee groups and demonstrate the value of racial equity within a workforce.
- Demonstrate commitment to valuing differences among individuals.
- Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don’t just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
- Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
- Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
- ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that they need an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6000
FOR APPLICATION CLOSING DATE AND TO APPLY ONLINE, PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE: https://www.portofportland.com/Careers
- Address 7200 NE Airport Way, Portland, Oregon 97218 USA