Wed, 16 October 2019
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Location: Neyborly @ Old Town
205 Northwest 4th Avenue
Portland, OR 97209
Are you a business leader or HR professional interested in learning more about what you can do to dismantle workplace barriers experienced by transgender and nonbinary (TNB) people? If so, then this learning & development event is especially for you! This session will be facilitated by local experts who would like to discuss the development of a new employer index designed to evaluate the effectiveness of regional employers on their progress with implementing transgender-inclusive workplace policies, systems & practices.
The goal of this session is to help HR leaders, change agents, ERG members, movers and shakers understand why it is necessary to improve their workplace culture to welcome and fully include transgender and nonbinary people. This session builds from previous work conducted by the PDX Trans Works Project, a program affiliated with PABA, Portland’s LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce.
During this session, we will collaborate to accomplish the following objectives:
- Understand who transgender and non-binary people are, and why they experience higher rates of poverty, un-and-underemployment and workplace discrimination.
- Gain a foundational understanding of how to evaluate your workplace’s leadership, culture, systems, design and practices to reduce workplace barriers for TNB stakeholders.
- Share feedback on the TNB employer index and ask questions about existing measures local TNB community members developed for regional employers to consider.
- Learn about ways your organization can join the current pool of regional employers who have pledged to join the TNB Employer Index.
- Commit to one organizational action you can take after this learning opportunity.
- 8:00 a.m. – Registration, Networking & Light Refreshments
- 8:30 a.m. – Identifying & Understanding TNB Workplace Barriers
- 10:00 a.m. – Discussing TNB Employer Index
- 11:30 a.m. – Networking & Closing
Prior to this learning session, participants are encouraged to review the following materials:
- Review the 2015 US Transgender Survey, Oregon State Report
- Read the 2018 Portland Transgender & Nonbinary Community, Executive Summary (pages 1-5, PDX Trans Works Project Listening Session Report).
- Watch the clip, Transgender Works: Creating a Transgender-Inclusive Workplace Video.
For HR professionals certified through IPMA-HR, the course may qualify for continuing education credits for recertification.
Thanks to our presenting sponsors: