Managing Employees with Substance Abuse
October 15 @ 9:00 am – 10:30 am
Workplace substance abuse affects all businesses, regardless of size or industry. Of the 12.3 million American adults who are current illicit drug users, 9.4 million (77 percent) are employed.
Substance abuse results in an impaired physical and mental condition that can create a deceptive state of euphoria, or a false sense of well-being. Abuse is often the result of addiction and cause dependency that can be physical, mental or both. In addition, substance abuse can create personal, family, and financial problems beyond the abuser’s control.
In this program you will learn:
- The categories of drugs that typically are abused
- Abuse impact on the organization and the employee
- Why alcoholism is a disability covered under ADA
- The signs and symptoms of abuse
- Drug testing policy and procedures
- Federally mandated testing versus voluntary testing in Oregon and Washington